Happy Moment

Remember the little boy that destroyed the classroom a few weeks ago that I wrote about? Well, today was extremely exciting and reassuring to me that I can do this career called teaching. My mentor teacher was absent, so we had a redirection teacher as our substitute. This happened to be the same lady who has been working with the child I discussed earlier. Everything was proceeding along as normal, when  the principal entered and asked if the little boy could come join us. Of course, I immediately answered yes because no child should be pulled out from the classroom thereby preventing them from learning. Since the redirection teacher was working with the whole class, I took this situation to be the perfect opportunity to finally get my chance to start working with him. I have been dying to do so all semester. As the child and I were sitting at his table, working on his writing and following the teacher’s instructions, he never got up or lost focus. We stayed completely on task and did not have to take any breaks like he normally does during class.  We also had meaningful discussions where he learned something new, and I was able to grow as a teacher.

After many years of working with children in daycare settings, after-school programs, and in the classroom, today was probably one of the best. I love knowing that I helped a child that desperately needed me, and hopefully I planted a seed in him to continue progress in his education. This was the first of many in my teaching career, and I cannot wait to make the difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man's best friend

Is it Christmas yet?