Man's best friend

                  So they say a dog is a man’s best friend, and I couldn’t agree more.  This past week I was reminded of just how important my two dogs are to me and my family. My blue heeler, Piper, and her mischievous sidekick, Daisy, our yorkie, decided to escape the comfort of their backyard. Little did they know what havoc this little adventure would cause. Our family went into overdrive; posting on Facebook, hanging and handing out flyers, and searching for our two fur babies.
                  After two days, when our morale was low, mom received a call that Piper had been found, but was injured. She had been hit by a vehicle and suffered a broken back leg. I can’t begin to tell you the emotion involved in receiving that call and picking up one of our doggies. We not only had one of our family members back home, but we knew the area in which to look for the other one. Our search widened over the coming days, but to no avail, until we received that dreadful phone call last Friday (12 days after the ordeal began). Daisy had been located, but she did not survive. Oh, how our hearts were broken by this news.

                  Funerals are never easy, and that is no different when it is a pet you are laying to rest. Many tears were shed, and memories shared. Daisy was a part of our family for 6 years. She loved to have her belly rubbed and snuggle, but hated bows or dressing up. For anyone who believes that animals do not become a part of your heart and your family, they are sadly mistaken. Anatole France once said that “until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” We loved our little Daisy and will miss her greatly.

Comments

  1. I am so sorry for your loss. I don't know what I would do if I lost one of my dogs. They are family and very important in my life. It is never easy losing a pet and I will keep your family in prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I am so so sorry for your loss. This is so hard and one of the most painful things I've had to do... It is really like losing a family member!! I know no words could ever make this situation better but I am praying for you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Alexis. So sad. I bet that Daisy is mourning too. This is a heart-breaking post. Thank you for sharing with us, I know it couldn't have been easy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is it Christmas yet?